Confident Canine School of Behavior
Through the Confident Canine School of Behavior, Santa Barbara Humane offers affordable training classes for your dog, from puppy to adult, and also for those who just need a refresher.
The staff at Santa Barbara Humane is focused on strengthening the connection between humans and pets. By improving communication between humans and dogs, this training program can help you create a healthy, happy, lifelong partnership.
Behavior Team members are highly trained and experienced in the modern, humane, and effective use of force-free, reward-based training techniques. We do not use coercive methods that employ fear, pain, intimidation, or outdated notions of dominance. As a result, dogs learn to trust their human handlers, strengthening the bond between dog and owner.
If classes seem unaffordable or you have additional questions, we want to help. Email [email protected].
Choose a location to see the classes available.
Important Class Information
What to bring to class
- Dogs must wear a flat collar or harness. Dogs MAY NOT wear choke chains, prong, or electronic collars (e-collars).
- A six-foot, non-retractable leash.
- A hungry, but not famished dog.
- Treats: A variety of your dog’s favorite treats, cut into very small pea-sized pieces that you can carry in a treat pouch that allows easy access when you are seated, standing, or walking. Please bring a variety of treats.
- A treat pouch that you can wear, which is easy to put your hand in and will not make noise when you grab a treat.
Policies & Guidelines
- Adult dogs must be up to date on all vaccinations
- Attendees must be accompanied by an adult if under 18
- At least one adult present for every child under the age of 14
- Attendees must wear closed-toed shoes
- For classes at our Santa Barbara campus, please park in the back parking lot (South entrance). The front lot will close at 5:00 PM, and any cars parked in that lot will be closed in.
- Class participants must wear a face covering
- Please practice social distancing and stay six feet from other participants
- No more than two people from each family group can attend class
- Please do not attend class if you are feeling unwell or experiencing symptoms of COVID-19, such as fever or coughing