Due to the generosity of community funders, Santa Barbara Humane offers a medical assistance program in Santa Maria to provide support to those who cannot afford care. Low-income-qualified families currently utilizing a need-based assistance program such as MediCal, MediCaid, WIC, CalWORKS, BIA general assistance, CalFresh, SSI, SSD, Section 8 housing, or major VA disability can receive assistance. If you would like to see if your circumstances qualify, view the requirements here:
- Client must provide proof of public assistance. Limited exceptions can be made at the discretion of the VP of Veterinary Medicine or Veterinary Practice Manager.
- Assistance is intended for one visit per pet.
- Additional assistance/visits must be approved on a case-by-case basis by the VP of Veterinary Medicine or Veterinary Practice Manager.
- Because the organization is donor-funded, pet owners are encouraged to pay whatever portion of services they can afford.
- Unfortunately, we cannot support any medical conditions that require hospitalization through this fund at this time.
- If Santa Barbara Humane is unable to provide care due to limitations or restricted conditions, staff will offer recommendations for veterinary care/services. If suffering is present and humane euthanasia is recommended, we can provide assistance.